Thursday, January 19, 2012

Taco, Taco Night, I Love it When, its Taco Night

Sprouted corn tortillas, seared wild grouper, vegenaise crema, salted cabbage, pico de gallo, guac, and organic broccoli sprouts
Although not the most seasonal meal for this frosty weather…I wanted to be transported by my food to a warmer “happier place”, and my fish tacos did the trick!

I used wild grouper for my protein, but any mild flaky white fish could do. I had a really thick cut of fish, so my cooking method consisted of searing and roasting. I rubbed the fish with olive oil, salt, and peppered both sides of the flesh and pan seared both sides for around 4 minutes or until browned. I then popped the fish in the oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until it was white throughout and flaked. Before I popped the fish in the oven, I threw in some whole garlic cloves so I’d have some roasted garlic to stuff inside my taco as well. Once cooked, I topped the grouper with some chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

To stuff my taco, I made a variety of sides:
Serves 2
Vegenaise Crema adapted from My Father's Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow (Mindfulmayo is a mayo alternative. I used a version made by Earth Balance which is vegan and contains no soy or preservatives and is made from canola oil and contains mono and polyunsaturated fats. A delicious alternative to mayo that can be utilized in a multitude of ways.)
I mixed ¼ cup Mindfulmayo with a tablespoon of lime juice and a pinch of salt for a tangy and creamy foundation for my taco.

Pico de Gallo
½ cup cherry tomatoes diced
¼ of a red onion diced
2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Sprinkling of salt

Mix all ingredients together and allow flavors to meld for 20 minutes

Guac
1 avocado
1 tbsp cilantro coarsely chopped
1 tbsp red onion diced
juice of 1/2 a lime
Salt and pepper to taste

Score and scoop out the flesh of the avocado and mix with the rest of the ingredients. I like my guac on the chunky side so I do not mash too much.

Cabbage
1 ½ cups of green cabbage sliced
2 tbsp lime juice
Sprinkling of salt
Mix ingredients together and let sit for at least 15 minutes for a crunchy taco topper.

I also added broccoli sprouts to my taco to add a nutritive boost to this light and healthful meal. Broccoli sprouts are similar in taste to alfalfa spouts, but are a little less stringy and have more of a radishy taste. The sprouts of broccoli are extremely nutrient dense and small amounts of the phytochemical rich sprout are 10-100 times more cancer protective than larger quantities of vegetables in the same family (1). Broccoli sprouts are a great way to not only boost tacos, but also salads, soups, and sandwiches with added calcium, and vitamins A, E, and C.

For the base of my taco I used Food For Life’s sprouted corn tortillas, which I seared for a minutes a side in a hot pan. These tortillas only have 4 ingredients (sprouted corn, filtered water, sea salt, and lime) and less is usually more. Sprouted grains are more nutrient rich than your typical grain and these tortillas were low calorie (60 calories a tortilla) contained calcium, iron, protein, and fiber!

With a chilled corona light in hand and my nutrient dense and flavorful taco in the other, I was transported to the Baja coast complete with salty air and seagulls…unfortunately once I returned to reality I was greeted by iced flecked sidewalks and rats with wings.





1. Fahley J, Zhang Y, Talalay P. Broccoli sprouts: An exceptionally rich source of inducers of enzymes that protect against chemical carcinogen The National Academy of Sciences of the USA 1997; 94 (10):10267-10372

1 comment: