Sunday, November 13, 2011

Quick Fix Mexi Night

Sometimes you just can’t help but get those cravings for gooey, cheesy, spicy goodness. Instead of going to the local greasy fryalator restaurant, I opted to make these simple, healthy, and tasty quesadillas that fulfilled my mexi craving. Obviously, to no one’s surprise, I had to take a healthful spin on these quesadillas and chose Ezekiel’s sprouted grain tortillas as my foundation. These tortillas are more substantial than your average white flour variety and offer a more robust flavor while providing essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber which are not always offered in your run of the mill refined form. For the interior, I used canned low sodium fat free vegetarian refried beans and spread the mash down as my base. For my layers, I caramelized some onions, blanched some asparagus, and roasted a poblano pepper. To top it off, I used about a tablespoon and a half of shredded monterey and cheddar cheese per quesadilla and some organic Muier Glen corn and black bean salsa. I placed another tortilla on top and pressed down slightly and baked for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese was gooey. I topped off these fiestas on a plate with some sliced avocado and pickled jalapeño and was in spicy cheesy Mexican heaven. I am sure these quesadillas are an insult to any Mexican quesadilla purest, but these were great, very simple, and up for a variety of interpretations.

Additional fillers:
Sautéed mushrooms
Blanched broccoli
Roasted red peppers
Sundried tomatoes
Black beans
Spinach

“Beans, beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot!” Well, that being said, beans are not a fruit but are a legume and are considered part of the vegetable and protein family. They definitely do have some magical attributes! Beans are loaded with calcium, protein, iron, folate, and phosphorus. They are a great source of fiber and can get things flowing, hence the lovely rhymes. Depending on the preparation, beans can be fat free and are a great food choice to help fill you up without being calorically dense.

To accompany my quesadillas, I made an uncomplicated smoky and spicy tomato soup that completed my fiesta….all I needed was some chilled Patron with lime and a mariachi.

3 cups diced onions
1 clove garlic diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
1 28 ounce canned San Marzano diced tomatoes
3 teaspoons minced canned chipotles in adobo with 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce

Optional Garnishes:
Fat free sour cream
Sliced avocado
Shredded cheese
Cilantro
Scallions
Crumbled baked blue corn tortilla chips

Sauté onions in oil until softened, 5 minutes.
Add garlic, cumin, and oregano and stir for 3 minutes.
Add broth, tomatoes, and chipotles, cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Turn soup off, allow to cool slightly, and blend in either a blender or with an immersion blender.
Serve and garnish


No comments:

Post a Comment